'The 5th Wave', Review In A Nutshell

By Thursday, September 10, 2015 , , , , , ,


The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)
by Rick Yancey

Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Published: May 7th 2013 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages: 457p
Links: GoodreadsAmazon


USA Today says The 5th Wave, "should do for aliens what Twilight did for vampires".

Because of that line I've been skeptical about this book. Twilight isn't exactly bad. The main characters, the romance, the flow of the plot didn't really made it easy for me to finish the book. It took me a month to finally, finally finish the book. I can say it's the same for The 5th Wave. Thank God this time it didn't took me a month, but it surely took a lot of my will and dignity to finish it. And mostly because I skimmed it.

The 5th Wave is an over-hyped book about faceless aliens invading the earth. This has been compared to a lot of books, some I've read before. The Host is much better than this, and the book has actual aliens. The Passage shouldn't be in the same sentence with...this book, because The Passage has an actual plot. The Host and The Passage have actual science in it. The premise of The 5th Wave is actually really cool, but the book is actually really disappointing too.

The 5th Wave has a simple plot, but it raises too many questions. What is that unidentified object lurking above? Who are they? What do they want? Why are they here? What are they planning? What do you mean by they're inside us? What is this book all about really? I'm sure the author is withholding further information, and answers to most of my questions, in the second book. Too bad, I won't be reading it. The book is supposed to build excitement. It's supposed to give me basic information. But this book just doesn't give me anything! It's so frustrating.

We spend too much time in Cassie, Ben, and some other characters' heads. And I still didn't get anything from the book. Cassie is so annoying. Ben is boring. The other characters are pointless and irrelevant. The chapters are confusing. They just talk in their heads. At first, okay it was cool and then it got old quickly. The narration is frustrating! You can probably cut down this book in half, and you'd still get most of the plot. It wouldn't make this book better, though.

Romance in a world invaded by aliens? Count me in! I'm a sucker for tragic romance. And oh wow, the romance in this book is a tragedy in a Romeo and Juliet way. I HATE ROMEO AND JULIET WITH ALL MY HEART. Oh spare me the innocent love affair of the youth! Cassie keeps talking about Ben Parish. Oh Ben, you and your gorgeous body! Oh Ben! Ben! Ben! Ben! Stop it already! You're supposed to think about surviving. And it the end, Ben didn't even end up as Cassie's love interest.

This book is full of shit. It doesn't give you information about the enemy. It doesn't make sense in a lot of parts: the invasion, the 5th wave, the child soldiers, the military camp, the "we were downloaded in to people's mind", Evan, aliens.

I hate this book and its Star Wars spoilers/references.





rating
★☆☆☆☆


You Might Also Like

0 comments