BOOK REVIEW: To All The Boys I've Loved Before

By Friday, April 18, 2014 , , , , , ,

To All The Boys I've Loved Before (To All The Boys I've Loved Before #1) by Jenny Han

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 288
Format: Kindle
Publication Date: April 15, 2014
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers



To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

I've waited half a year to read this book. And it didn't fail me. I can't think anything I don't like about this book. Normally I hate at least two characters in a book, but not this one. It also cured my reading slump! So plus one star for this book.

Whenever Lara Jean likes someone, she writes him a letter. And hopes she moves on after, which she always does. She doesn't send the letter to them, though. So when a guy Lara Jean used to like asks her about the letter she sent, Lara Jean got confused and ready to disappear. What if the letters were sent to all of them. Especially to Josh, her sister's ex-boyfriend. That wouldn't be too good.
But when something tragic happens, expect a blessing after. When Josh started questioning Lara Jean about the letter, she blurted out that she has a boyfriend. And that's when she got into a pretend relationship with Peter, one of the boys. It's perfect because they don't like each other. But they're in a complicated situation. A danger. Everyone knows it's easier to fall in love when things are complicated and...life threatening.


"My letters are for when I don't want to be in love anymore. They're for good-bye Because after I write my letter, I'm no longer consumed by my all-consuming love. I can eat my cereal and not wonder if he likes bananas over his Cheerios too; I can sing along to love songs and not be singing them to him. If love is like a possession, maybe my letters are like my exorcisms. My letters set me free. Or at least they're supposed to.

Lara Jean. She's so funny and easy to like. She's dependent to her sister, Margot. She's your average unpopular girl.
I love Lara Jean. She can be funny and sarcastic. But the thing with her is she doesn't stand up for herself. She is selfless, someone people like to take advantage. Along the story she changes. And I like it better when the character I love correct their weakness.

I actually loved everyone. Even Gen, but her evilness haven't been exposed in the book. Maybe in the second! Oh and I'm so happy this gets a sequel...because the ending is just so gaaah.

The characters are well-written and believable. No stereotyping at all. Like how some books make out popular guys as jerks. Or how nerdy-nice guys can't be jerks.

To All The Boy I've Loved Before, is cute and a fun read. I don't care if I rated this too high, when it really is your average young adult romance novel. But you know how you can relate to books despite its boring plot or annoying characters. This books pulled a string in my heart. It's sweet and teaches you some lessons. Lessons about love and being responsible, taking new roles.

The romance is the kimchi to my ramyun. I can't eat ramyun without kimchi! I just can't! And a young adult novel isn't complete without romance, no matter how small or big a portion it is. The romance is 짱! 대빅... It's cute. There's no guaranteed ending about it. Like you don't if Lara Jean will choose him, or does he really like Lara Jean. It's has some tension. And I like that it's not instalove and it isn't forceful. It slowly grows in to you, much like the characters.

I really like this book. I would probably read this a hundred times and would still swoon over the boys in the book. You're in for a surprise too, since the book ended with a cliffhanger. So let's wait another year, to find out if it really is before or still.




rating
★★★★★
The cover is so pretty! And the story is so cute... ^____^





You Might Also Like

2 comments