BOOK REVIEW: A Countess Below Stairs

By Monday, April 28, 2014 , , ,

A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson

Genre: Historical Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Pages: 383
Format: Paperback
Publication Date: May 10, 2007
Publisher: Speak



After the Russian revolution turns her world topsy-turvy, Anna, a young Russian Countess, has no choice but to flee to England. Penniless, Anna hides her aristocratic background and takes a job as servant in the household of the esteemed Westerholme family, armed only with an outdated housekeeping manual and sheer determination. Desperate to keep her past a secret, Anna is nearly overwhelmed by her new duties—not to mention her instant attraction to Rupert, the handsome Earl of Westerholme. To make matters worse, Rupert appears to be falling for her as well. As their attraction grows stronger, Anna finds it more and more difficult to keep her most dearly held secrets from unraveling. And then there's the small matter of Rupert's beautiful and nasty fiancée...



DNF at 50%. It was boring.

I want to know more about Anna. About her life before she came to England, about her struggles. But 50% into the book and I still don't know how Anna feels. Just that Anna is this, and that. She knows French. She's opinionated. She's kind. She's respectable. This and that. I can write a book about someone without knowing them, and it will turn out like this. I want feelings, emotions! I want to know the main characters better. Instead, we get to know people around Anna. It's okay, really, but I don't want to get to know someone I'm only going to meet once.

There were interesting characters, but not interesting enough to make me continue reading. The important characters, the people that are directly involved with Anna's life, are introduced briefly and then proceeds to telling stories about some folks I could care less.

I'm really interested in this era, the late 1800s and the early 1900s. So I was kind of disappointed with this book. Not that it's not good, it's just boring.






rating
★★☆☆☆





You Might Also Like

0 comments