ARC REVIEW: The Last Best Kiss

By Monday, February 10, 2014 , , , , , , , ,

The Last Best Kiss by Claire LaZebnik

Genre: Chick-lit, Contemporary
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: /
Format: eARC (via Edelweiss)
Publication Date: April 22, 2014 (Expected)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Link: Goodreads


Anna Eliot is tired of worrying about what other people think. After all, that was how she lost the only guy she ever really liked, Finn Westbrook.Now, three years after she broke his heart, the one who got away is back in her life. All Anna wants is a chance to relive their last kiss again (and again and again). But Finn obviously hasn’t forgotten how she treated him, and he’s made it clear he has no interest in having anything to do with her. Anna keeps trying to persuade herself that she doesn’t care about Finn either, but even though they’ve both changed since they first met, deep down she knows he’s the guy for her. Now if only she can get him to believe that, too....


In ninth grade, Finn and Anna are friends.
Finn and Anna share seats.
Finn and Anna look at stars.
In ninth grade, Finn and Anna fell in love.
Finn and Anna share kisses.
Finn and Anna are different.
In ninth grade, Finn is skinny.
Anna is pretty.
In ninth grade, Finn kisses Anna goodbye.
Anna avoids Finn.
In ninth grade, they broke each other's heart.
Finn is angry. Anna is sorry.

Finn is back! And he is avoiding Anna. It's okay, Anna can just avoid him too. But suddenly, Finn is part of the group, her group.


I didn't know that this book is a Persuasion retelling. I haven't read Persuasion, so it's okay. Nothing will change even if I did know.
I really love this book more than the author's other works. This is really different from the other book I've read from her, which is Epic Fail. I find her works a lot similar to Japanese movies. They're slow, eventful and detailed.

This book isn't just about romance. It's also about family, friendship and there are small values thrown in it. It made me miss my high school life. When I was in high school, I also have a coed group of friends. In college, it's also coed but the other is gay. So... Haha!

The characters are all so funny, although some are really annoying. Their group is like a fruit basket. Everyone has its own flavor, shape, color, texture, etc.

Anna is the silent one in the group. She's also the calm one. Even though she says that maybe she's just adopted, because she's nothing like her dad, I think that she got her calmness from her father. In the book, Anna gets confronted most of the time. But nothing really break through her calmness. She's someone who keeps everything, even anxiety, hidden. Anna is an artist, and she makes interesting pieces.

Finn is really cute and a great guy. It gets me all warm when he flirts with Lily. Like DUDE ARE YOU REAL? But he is not perfect. He has flaws. And he is a total nerd. Not a bad thing though.

My favorite character is Oscar! Because I have a gay friend named Oscar too. But my Oscar is lucky when it comes to dating. Very lucky. Luckier than me! (Boohoo friend!) It's so cute because the Oscar in the book is a lot similar with my Oscar (yes, he is mine mwahaha).

All in all, the characters are great. Lily is annoying...and LOL at Oscar saying that Lily's like a John Green character. Which she really is. Lily is "perfect", unique, witty, free-spirited and troubled. Very John Green. Hilary, Lily's twin sister, is always anxious. And she reminds me of ME. I'm kinda bipolar though?

I also find Molly, Anna's sister, interesting. Especially her being a lesbian. I don't have a lesbian friend and it's actually kind of awkward for me to befriend one. Here in my country, I think gay guys are more accepted or tolerated than lesbians. Because a lot of gays are funny and creative. I'm really interested with knowing how being a lesbian feels. I hope I don't offend anyone.

There are a lot of relationships in the book. But like a realistic relationship, some ends and some lasts longer than what is expected. I love that some relationships builds slowly. Slowly but surely, they say.

I think the friendship in this book is more awesome than the romance. I love their group. They show how a high school group is. Fun, adventurous, dangerous (lol), always bickers, noisy.




rating
★★★★☆
Recommended to everyone who loves fluffy unicorns!




~PAT~



You Might Also Like

0 comments