ARC REVIEW: Impostor

By Saturday, February 01, 2014 , , , , , , ,

Impostor (Variant #1) by Susanne Winnacker

Genre: Sci-fi
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: /
Format: eARC (via Netgalley)
Publication Date: January 2, 2014 (first published May 28, 2013)
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Link: Goodreads


Tessa is a Variant, able to absorb the DNA of anyone she touches and mimic their appearance. Shunned by her family, she's spent the last two years with the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities, a secret branch of the FBI. There she trains with other Variants, such as long-term crush Alec, who each have their own extraordinary ability. When a serial killer rocks a small town in Oregon, Tessa is given a mission: she must impersonate Madison, a local teen, to find the killer before he strikes again. Tessa hates everything about being an impostor - the stress, the danger, the deceit - but loves playing the role of a normal girl. As Madison, she finds friends, romance, and the kind of loving family she'd do anything to keep.



A serial killer is lurking in a small town, killing 3 people. And the last victim doesn't have much time before she dies. In order to find the killer, Tessa needs to pose as Madison, the last surviving victim. When Madison died, Tessa takes her place.

X-Men? Yes... This sounds like X-Men. But I like X-Men better. Because at least X-Men doesn't have a character like Alec. Damn that boy! I just want to strangle him every time he breathes.

The plot is really good. I really thought I guessed the right killer out of all the suspects. I was shocked because OOPS PLOT TWIST! Everything is really good, except for the romance. Everything is explained in the book. You can read more about a Variant there, because a description will be nowhere near my review.

I don't really know if they're in a school, like X-Men? Or a training academy... They have special classes for the things they need to know if ever they get sent out to do a mission. Subjects about world history and spies stuffs, since the FEA is under the FBI. 

Tessa is okay. I really had no problem with her. She isn't stupid or I AM SO SPECIAL PLEASE BOW DOWN TO ME kind of character. And her name is Tessa...her Variant is shape-shifting into a person. Doesn't that remind you of Tessa from The Infernal Devices trilogy? Come to think of it, Tessa is Tessa, Alec is Will (OMFG ALEC IS JUST SO MEH), Devon is Jem. See? Or maybe I'm delusional, but I see it that way. Tessa because of her Variant and her being dependent to Alec. Alec because like Will in TID, he is shuts people out of his life but still finds a way to protect the people he cares about. And Devon because like Jem, he is just so sweet and selfless.
I think it's obvious that Devon is my favorite character and if it wasn't for him I would have DNF-ed this at 53%. I really like how he tries to be strong for the people he loves. And though he is suspicious at times, he has good reason for it. When the author describes him, or his dimpled smile, I'm like AHHHHHH *blushes*. If Devon's in the second book then I might read it. And I was really hoping for a love triangle, which is weird. I usually hate love triangles, and wouldn't ask for it.
Alec...I had a lot of problems with him. At the first chapter I already started hating him. He's overprotective, unreasonable, weird, inconsistent, jerk. I hate how he tells Tessa what she should and shouldn't do. And he's only reason is because he is trying to protect her. From what? One minute he is grinning, the next he is wearing his poker face. I just want to punch him! He has a girlfriend but still kisses Tessa. They didn't even explain why he was with Kate when he really likes Tessa. What was their relationship for? It wasn't fair for Kate. There are a lot of guys like him in the YA corner. I don't mind, but at least give them a little background on why they act like how they act. But Alec's inconsistency towards Tessa isn't justifiable.

The romance ruined this! Screw sexual tension! Screw the NO CHEATING rule! One of the reasons why I don't like the romance between Tessa and Alec is because Alec kissed Tessa when Alec was with Kate. CHEATER! And how the ending goes. *rolls eyes* And the hot and cold thing within minutes...not cool dude! And Alec doesn't have redeeming qualities. Sawrry! (You Who Came From The Stars, Korean TV Drama reference)




rating
★★★☆☆

Even so, this was still a good read. I love that it keeps me guessing. Recommended to everyone who loves X-Men!





~PAT~

You Might Also Like

0 comments