ARC REVIEW: Lingering Echoes

By Wednesday, February 12, 2014 , , , , , ,

Lingering Echoes by Erica Kiefer

Genre: Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Pages: /
Format: eARC (via Netgalley)
Publication Date: October 30, 2013
Publisher: Clean Teen Publishing
Link: Goodreads


Returning to Hidden Pines is the last thing Allie Collins wants to do during her final summer before college. For her, the family cabin she spent her youthful summers in, now holds a dark memory that has haunted her every day for the last year. While struggling to forget her past, Allie runs into Damien, a local rebel with secrets of his own. He's dark, dangerous and he keeps showing up when Allie least expects him to. She has every reason not to trust him. So why does she find herself opening up to him in a way she hasn't been able to with anyone? As pieces of Damien’s identity emerge, answers to a rumored mystery begin to unfold. By the time Allie unearths the secrets of Damien’s past, she realizes just how intricately they are connected. Now she is caught in a dangerous battle that threatens her life and those she loves.






Girl is broken. Guy has a haunting past.
The guy stalks the girl because he finds her intriguing. The guy eventually saves the girl from an accident, because he is such a stalker. They spend time with each other. And then bam! They say their vows. Happy ending. Bye! (No, not really)

Broken characters are so popular in NA books. And I ask again and again, WHY!? Why do girls get attracted to guys who are mysterious and stalker-ish? Why do guys need to be broading and badass to save girls? Until now, I haven't find an answers to those questions.

It's okay. There's nothing wrong with liking them. Whatever fuels your engine!

The first few chapters are okay. But the rest are just eye-rolling-ly(is this even a word?) annoying. I don't even know why I requested this arc! If I read the summary, I would probably stay away from it. I knew this was trouble. But did I listen to my guts? No! The book is just flipping cliche. The whole bad-boy-saves-broken-girl plot is so overrated. Especially that thinking that bad boys are really good boys, they just have really dark past. Oh come on! It would probably be okay if the guy is a real badass, troublesome dude with a really dark past!

The book is narrated by Allie, the girl who falls for the bad guy. I believe Allie is not stupid, but you know...birds of the same feathers flock together. I don't really blame her for seeking Damien. He is broken too, wouldn't he understand Allie? But no, I don't think he understands her. When Allie was pouring her heart out to Damien all he did was listen and distract her with other activities (nope, not that activity, unfortunately). I get that he helped her confront her fear of the water. But pft! I can get her to do that. Allie's head is full of Damien. I just want to slam it.
Damien...he is badass right? He sounds like a guy trying to be badass. And wasn't he underage when his parents died? Shouldn't he be with a relative? He is so unbelievable. Like, he manages a business. Oh yeah? And you're not busy? Managing a business takes like half of your day. I get it if you're the owner and you let others manage it. But he said he manages it. Manage my ass! I don't manage our business like that.

I'm okay with all of this until Damien told his story. Which until now makes me roll my eyes. Why did he even join the gang? To prove he is badass? What an ass.

And there were other issues too, like:
"Yeah", ethnic guy said.
ETHNIC? What did the author mean by that? Couldn't she just write "the *insert adjective here* guy"?

Anyway, nice guys finish last in this book. Poor Aaron. He did everything. He would even die for her but all he gets is a special place in her heart. All the guy wants is a candy. Tsk tsk.





rating
★★☆☆☆





~PAT~



You Might Also Like

2 comments