BOOK REVIEW: Fangirl

By Thursday, November 21, 2013 , , , , , , ,

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Genre: Chick Lit
Age Group: New Adult
Pages: 433
Format: eBook (Kindle)
Publication Date: September 10, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Purchase: AmazonKoboBook Depository


Cath is a Simon Snow fan. Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan . . . But for Cath, being a fan is her life — and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving. Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere. Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to. Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone. For Cath, the question is: Can she do this? Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories? And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?





It was a fun read. But the plot lacked something exciting for me.


Fangirl is a unique book. It tells us the story of Cather, or Cath, of how fangirling and the fandom is a big part of her life. While I am a fangirl myself, I don't think that I am like Cath. I don't like to read male-to-male fanfictions or YAOI, as we Asians, Anime fans and K-pop fans call it.



The writing style made the book easier to read. The voice is really fresh and light. It made the words flow like water. The Simon Snow story at the end of every chapter is really creative.



There are too many conflicts that don't even have a climax. And some have climax, but then it got cut away. Like it isn't even part of the book. But it is! For example, the conflict between Cath and her mom, I wish there's a closure or a realization in her mom's side. It was a hanging ending. Very very hanging. But I don't wish for a sequel, I think it ended at that point just fine.



All in all, the book is a fun read. I did enjoy it. I'm not sure if I enjoyed it to the point of loving it, or just enjoyed the book because it kept me company for a day. I read my tweets while I was reading the book. I sound irritated. Haha. Maybe because I was irritated at Cath. I think she's ridiculous sometimes. I don't even know how many times I rolled my eyes while reading the book. Are other fangirls really like her? 


My favorite character is Reagan. She's so badass. I wish Rainbow Rowell would write a book or a novella about her.

Would I write a more detailed review about this book? Yes. In the future, after I clear my to-review list.



rating
★★★☆☆ 

I recommend this book to fangirls out there. Read this book and know yourselves! Haha.




Cheers!

You Might Also Like

0 comments